Saturday, January 9, 2010

something close to my heart

We have 5 kids ranging in age from 18 to 20 months. my oldest daughter, brenda, was born with Dandy-walker syndrome variant. basically all that means is she has major developmental delays. She is 18 but functions more like 18 months. I always say, "she was the best thing to ever happen to me" and that still remains true. I've been down a road not everyone gets to experience, a lot of fighting for her to make sure she gets the care she needs. Some days i want to hit my head against the wall with some of the obstacles we face but I know i can never give up so I tend to fight harder. I owe a lot to her because she has opened my eyes, my heart and basically my life to things I would've never had the pleasure of seeing. This week we were informed of the budget cuts that are being set in place for people with disabilities. programs that she (and many others) need and depend on are taking a $9 million hit. these are programs that have not been given any type of increase for as far back as i can remember. I'm trying to understand and see our state politicians side on this but I'm having a very hard time doing so. Last October all the legislatures gave themselves a raise, A RAISE to sit there and decide which programs they are going to cut.... As i read the emails and the newspaper, I just felt a major loss and was very sad. I also do respite care for children with special needs so not only is my heart breaking for my daughter but for all these kids I watch. I decided to take pictures of the article for my post today because at times i can take things for "granted" and this will be a reminder and an eye opener of sorts. not one i would like to remember but it is part of my daily life so I believe it belongs..




3 comments:

  1. What an inspirational woman you are and a great mom! I understand your plight with the legislation. I don't understand how these irrational decisions get made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with Lorrie, you are a very inspirational woman and a SUPER mom..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bridgette I am so sorry to hear that and also mad at the way these government people keep taking for themselves but are leaving everyone else high and dry. Big hugs to you and Brenda.

    ReplyDelete